The Narrative of William W. Brown, A Fugitive Slave.Written By Himself, was published in 1847 at the Anti-Slavery Office, No. 25. Cornhill. Edmund Quincy edited the narrative and wrote a letter to Brown that was published along with the narrative. In the letter, Quincy says "To correct a few errors, which appeared to be merely clerical ones, committed in the hurry of composition, under unfavorable circumstances, and to suggest a few curtailments, is all that I have ventured to do" (Brown). This shows that Quincy did not make much change to Brown's narrative, therefore giving it more credibility. Edmund Quincy was an abolitionist and an author who was very active in the anti-slavery movement. He was an editor for many abolitionist papers. Quincy was born in 1808 and died in 1877.
Who excatly was Edmund Quincy? A friend of Brown's? Why would he help him? I love the iCarly background by the way. :)
ReplyDeleteEdmund Quincy was an abolitionist editor. I could not find information for why he would specifically help Brown other than the fact that he helped several slaves and ex-slaves by editing their narratives.
ReplyDelete