"So I was not only hunting for my liberty, but also hunting for a name; though I regarded the latter as of little consequence, if I could but again be the former." (417)
The trials of the past were all lost in hope of the future. The love of liberty, that had been burning in my bosom for years, and had been well nigh extinguished, was now resuscitated." (414)
"Mr. Willi treated me better than Dr. Young ever had; but instead of making me contented and happy, it only rendered me the more miserable, for it enabled me better to appreciate liberty" (411)
"The woman did not die, but it would have been the same if she had" (413)
"My dear sister and two beloved brothers were behind us, and the idea of giving them up, and leaving them forever, made us feel sad. But with all this depression of heart, the thought that I should one day be free, and call my body my own, buoyed me up, and made my heart leap for joy." (404)
"The next morning a blacksmith came in, and put a pair of handcuff's on me, and we started on our way back to the land of whips, chains, and bibles." (405)
Freedom and escape> page 386
Family Ties> page 385
Institution of Slavery> page 404
Similar to the tone of Douglass> page 420
No comments:
Post a Comment